One of the original farming villages of the Courchevel valley, Le Praz is now a popular destination with French skiers who enjoy the authentic mountain village feel with its cosy bars, cobbled streets and twinkling lights.
5 reasons to make Courchevel Le Praz your next ski holiday destination:
- Two high-speed lifts: The brand new Alpinium building, which opened in 2019, houses the speedy new Praz gondola which whizzes up to Courchevel 1850 in just under 6 minutes. The swanky building is home to the Tourist Office and Lift Pass Office and very nice toilets! From the top of this Praz gondola, you can ski down to Courchevel Village or explore 1850 via the Plantrey chair.
The other lift leaving Le Praz is the 6-person, covered Foret chairlift – installed in 2014 – that takes you to just above the Bouc Blanc restaurant above La Tania. From there you can head over to Meribel in just one more chairlift, the Dou des Lanches, or ski the runs around La Tania and 1850. With Courchevel Le Praz as your base you’re at a great starting place to access the Three Valleys ski area:
1 lift – Le Praz bubble = you arrive in Courchevel 1850
2 lifts – Foret and Dou des Lanches chairs = ski straight down into Meribel
- World Ski Championships 2023: Legendary US skier Lindsay Vonn made a trip to Courchevel in December 2021 to check out the new black run which arrives into Le Praz. ‘Eclipse’ is the name of the new piste that will see the best skiers in the world fly down at incredible speeds to arrive at the Alpinium centre in February 2023. The slope is open to the public already so you can test your mettle in on the steep turns before the champs arrive!
You’ll also see the Olympic torch and ski jumps that put Le Praz in the spotlight during the 1992 Albertville Winter Olympics. You can often spot daredevils training on the jumps from the Murettes piste and Eddie the Eagle has also been known to pop by!
- A little ‘je ne sais quoi‘: With strictly low-rise chalets and apartments, you really feel as though you’re part of an authentic French ski resort when you stay here – Le Praz is very popular with French skiers who have holiday homes in the village and very few British skiers have cottoned on to this charming mountain village resort. Maybe French visitors are more interested in….
- … The fabulous bars and restaurants! Atmospheric vaulted wine bars, understated but divine Michelin star dining, posh burgers and the famous Bistrot du Praz…. You’re spoilt for choice on chalet night off. Meander the narrow winding streets bedecked with twinkling lights and your tummy will be rumbling as you read the restaurant menus. Prices are often more reasonable for a lunchtime menu than the mountain restaurants, so it’s possible to try out several during the week! For après-ski, try a vin chaud at the Peupliers Hotel restaurant, La Table de Mon Grand-Père. As experts, we can definitely recommend it as one of the very best in the Three Valleys! Looking for live music? Head to L’Elephant bar to dance with the locals.
- Try a new perspective on your ski holiday: Take a couple of hours away from the pistes and try something new. How about:
– Cross Country (Nordic) skiing – there’s a lovely track winding through the peaceful forest and you can hire equipment from the local ski shop. Start from the track opposite the bottom of the ski jumps and enjoy a peaceful couple of hours discovering this graceful sport, seeing the scenic village and surrounding mountains from a viewpoint that not many visitors experience!
– Ski touring – why use the lifts when you could walk up the mountain?! If you enjoy a fitness challenge then this is the sport for you – the ‘ski de randonnee‘ track takes you into 1850 or even higher if you’re still feeling energetic… You’ll need special equipment including ‘skins’ for the bottom of your skis, which can be hired locally. If you’re in training for a summer event then this could help you keep your fitness levels up during your holiday!
– Tandem paragliding – You’ll be blown away by the bird’s eye view of the Courchevel ski area – the white peaks go on for miles and miles… Landing in Le Praz you’ll also be just a moment away from the Table de Mon Grand-Père terrace!
– Snow-shoeing on the forest tracks – If you’re on holiday to relax, then taking some time away from the slopes to really appreciate your surroundings is a must. Hire some snow-shoes for the day and explore the forest on foot. It’s a truly magical experience with deep snow and animal tracks – if you’re very lucky you may even see a deer cross your path.
All in all, Courchevel Le Praz is a fantastic way to experience the enormous ski area of the Three Valleys, with plenty of activities, plenty of activities for non-skiers, a friendly village atmosphere and scenic views…
Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions about Courchevel Le Praz or our catered chalets, we’re always happy to help!